We were sent home to wait and see what happens. Sam has developed granulation tissue at the exit site of his central line. It is showing signs of a minor infection, but it has not traveled up the tunnel of his line at all, so we will continue to treat with an antibiotic cream and just keep an eye on it. If the granulation continues to grow (to about three times the size it is now) then we will attempt to cauterize it with silver nirate. The granulation is open, draining, and sensitive - so it is causing a little bit of discomfort for Sam.
On a brighter note, I had a much better impression of Sam's "replacement" surgeon than I did during our last meeting and am hopeful that we will be able to work together well.
I am still not ready to see summer go, so I will leave you tonight with a picture of Sam enjoying one of our many hours spent in the pool this summer.